FAQs for Students

What is “student membership”?
A student membership provides social work students a chance to participate in professional activities before they qualify for registration.  Student social workers are not Registered Social Workers and may not use the title social worker or RSW.

Who can be a student member?
Students can apply for membership if they are currently enrolled in at least one class in an accredited social work education program.

How much does student membership cost?
Student memberships are $58 for a full year, or they are prorated for the fall semester at $20 (as of September 1st).

What do you need to apply for student membership? You need to fill out the SASW online student application form, upload verification of current registration in at least one social work class, and pay the student membership fee with a credit card (Visa/MasterCard).

Student Application Form: https://sasw.in1touch.org/client/subscription/subscriptionEdit.html?productId=6783 

What are the benefits of student membership?
Discounts are available on SASW workshops and conferences for student members. You will receive The Saskatchewan Social Worker (newsletter) and can participate in a variety of SASW activities. Student members may vote at the annual general meeting of the association. SASW offers a free upgrade, in the year that you convocate, from a student membership to registered social worker.

What happens to my membership when I graduate?
One of the benefits of the SASW student membership is that upon convocation, SASW offers to upgrade your membership to a registered social worker free of charge. This free upgrade is available in the year that you convocate... You must still complete the registered social worker application process and submit a current resume outlining your work/volunteer experience, an original document of a criminal record check (not more than 6 months old from date of issue), as well as  a letter of reference submitted on the prescribed form.

Do I have to get registered when I graduate?
If you want to call yourself a social worker after you graduate you must be registered with SASW. Many employers also require that you be registered, regardless of what title you use.

What are the benefits of getting registered?
The following are some of the benefits of being a member of the Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers:

Professional Credibility: A registered social worker has agreed to be held publicly accountable for ethical practice by his/her peers. This distinguishes professional practitioners from technical employees. There are approximately 1,500 registered social workers in Saskatchewan.

SASW is a member of the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW): When you join SASW, you have access to the resources provided by CASW. Your voice is added to over 14,000 other social workers across Canada to advocate for social justice and professional recognition. CASW is also affiliated with the International Federation of Social Workers and many national groups.

SASW is a member of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB): This association is an umbrella for the regulation of social work in the United States and 10 Canadian social work jurisdictions. It is a central resource for information on social work regulation.

Professional Publications: Members of SASW receive The Saskatchewan Social Worker which is published three times per year by SASW as well as a journal entitled Canadian Social Worker which is published by CASW and available on their website. These publications contain scholarly articles and new information concerning continuing education opportunities. CASW also develops discussion papers, position papers, and policy documents which are available to members on the CASW Website.

Insurance:   Access to professional liability insurance coverage including civil liability and professional disciplinary coverage. As well, access to term life, long term disability, medical, dental benefits, and home/car insurance.

Advocacy: The Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers lobbies the provincial government and others in areas such as:

Professional Status - SASW lobbies for improvement in the status and recognition of social workers. On the national level, CASW is doing the same. CASW lobbied to gain exemption from charging the GST for social workers and for recognition by private insurance carriers. This results in clients being able to deduct private social work fees as a health expense.

Social Justice - SASW joins with other groups to develop discussion papers, briefs, and position papers to lobby for the “equitable distribution of societal resources” as required by the CASW Code of Ethics.

CASW works with the Canadian Council on Social Development and other national groups to advocate for a sound social safety net and for human rights.

Professional Development Workshops/Conferences: When SASW hosts provincial conferences and continuing education events, students receive reduced rates for these educational opportunities.

Opportunity: Membership in the Association entitles you to be a part of SASW committees such as the Awards Committee, Discipline Resource Pool, Education Committee, Mentorship Committee, , Public Relations Committee, , Social Justice, and Standards of Practice. Students may choose to become actively involved at the branch level. SASW Branches are located in the following areas: Battlefords, Northeast, Prince Albert, Regina, Saskatoon, Swift Current, Southeast and Yellowhead East.

FAQs for Online Renewals

Where is my renewal form?

Starting in 2014 we will no longer be mailing renewal forms to your home. Your renewal form is on-line and will only become available once you have filled out your continuing education documents.  You must document 40 hours of activity and must have activities in at least two categories.

Why will my renewal form not let me move forward to the next screen?
You must fill out all of the required information before your renewal form will let you continue on.  Check back through the screen for highlighted areas that you may have missed.

What do I do if I don’t have an employer?
You must select “No Employer” in all of the appropriate fields in order to move past the employment section.

How can I pay for my renewal?
Now that we have moved to an online system, the only payment method we accept is by credit card.

What if I do not want to use my credit card online?
Most drug stores now offer a pre-paid VISA or Master Card with varying amounts of money already on them.  If you do not feel comfortable using your personal credit card, or do not have a credit card, we suggest that you use this method for payment.

Why does my birthdate come up as this year?
The system we are using has a calendar function that defaults to the current year. Once you have clicked on a date you can edit the numbers to the correct month/day/year.

Why can’t I change my name on the renewal form?
SASW requires that you submit verification of a change of name. On the second menu bar click on Additional, then on Confirmation of Name Change. This will take you to a screen where you can provide the updated information.

Why can’t I change my education on the renewal form?
If you have upgraded your education we require original transcripts for verification. Please contact your academic institution and arrange to have the transcripts sent directly to the SASW office.

I have expressed interest in committee participation several times over the years but I never hear anything. How do I get onto a committee?
Please keep letting us know what you are interested in because we do rely on these lists to get new members when spaces open up. Most SASW committees have a limited number of members and more interest than space available each year. We try to make sure that each committee is representative of social workers in the province, so if you work in an area that is already represented by a committee member you may not be selected this year. There are also a few committees that look for practitioners with several years of practice experience, such as the Practice Ethics Committee, the Complaints Committee, and the Discipline Resource Pool. If you are a fairly recent graduate you are not likely to get selected for one of these.