Notice of 2020 registration renewals for registered social workers
Due Date: Sunday, December 1, 2019
SASW has been given responsibility for professional self-regulation by The Social Workers Act. With this comes the responsibility for protection of the public and to ensure strict requirements for registration. Accordingly, SASW has a set of specific requirements for applicants to maintain their yearly registration. The requirements for designation as a registered social worker and the privilege of being able to use the title “social worker” are set by The Social Workers Act, by-laws of the Association, and SASW Council policies. The SASW Registrar has been delegated the responsibility pursuant to Section 22(1) of The Social Workers Act, for the admission of persons as members and the issuing of registration licences. The material and information required of members is collected so that the Registrar can form a conclusion about the applicant’s capacity to practice social work with personal and professional integrity, honesty and in accordance with the law, including but not limited to The Social Workers Act and the by-laws of the Association.
All members are required to complete the online renewal form and submit payment by credit card (Visa/MasterCard) or Interact (debit) by December 1, 2019. This package of information provides you with information/guidelines to assist you in completing the renewal process. As well, this package contains the current email that you have in the SASW online system in order for you to retrieve your username/password if you do not know/have this information.
If you are requiring assistance from the SASW office, please ensure that you contact the office prior to the December 1st deadline as the office will not be open on the deadline date (which is a Sunday).
Gaining Access to SASW Online System/Website
SASW's website can be only be viewed when using one of the newer versions of Internet Explorer (IE 9, 10 and 11), as well as any of the updated versions of alternate web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari. Those with Microsoft's XP operating systems can install one of the self-updating browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.
2020 Registration Fee Schedule
- Between December 2nd and December 31st, a late payment fee of $15 will automatically be applied to your registration renewal.
- A reinstatement fee of $50 will automatically be applied for all applications completed on or after January 1st.
Issuing of Official Income Tax Receipts/Licences New for 2020 renewal year….SASW will be issuing its official income tax receipts/licences directly to your Members Home Page. In order to have your licence released to your Member Home Page, you will need to:
- have recorded continuing education activities as per the SASW continuing education policy (if applicable)
- have completed the online renewal application
- have paid the registration fee for the appropriate registration category
As well, the SASW Registrar will need to approve your online renewal as well as your continuing professional education activities. Once this has been done, you will receive an email indicating that your official receipt and licence is available on your Member Home Page. In order to view/print this official income tax receipt/licence, you will then need to:
- Click on Member Login
- Enter your username/password which will take you to your Member Home Page.
- On the left hand side, under the subheading RECEIPT/LICENSE, you will see "Print Your Official Receipt/License". Please click on this link for the receipt/license to appear and then you can print.
SASW will not be mailing receipts/licences via Canada Post.
If you are being reimbursed by your employer, you may want to consider submitting your online renewal well before the December 1st deadline to ensure that your renewal can be approved/processed and the official income tax receipt and licence can then be released to you before Christmas. Once you receive your official income tax receipt/ licence, you can print this document from your Member Home Page and submit this to your employer for reimbursement.
Guidelines for Completion of Registration Renewals with in the SASW online system
Step 1 - Member LoginClick on Member Login to enter your username and password. Once you have entered your username and password, you will be taken to your Member Home Page where you can see the information that SASW has in its online system, and find links that will take you to pages where you can update or enter new information.
- If you do not remember/have your username and password, you will need to retrieve this information by entering the email that you have within the SASW online system. The online system will automatically send your username/password directly to this email.
- You are being provided, within this package, the current email that SASW has in its system for you. If you no longer use this email or you have changed your email, you will need to notify the SASW Office via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) of a change to your email. The office will then make the change within the online system so you can retrieve your username/password. To avoid late charges and the delay of your registration, please ensure that you do this well before the December 1st deadline.
- For confidentiality/security reasons, the SASW office cannot provide usernames and passwords over the telephone or through email requests.
Step 2: Reporting of Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
- To enter your CPE activities, you will need to be on your Member Home Page. Click on Enter CONTINUING EDUCATION ACTIVITY RECORD. Select the appropriate category for each activity and enter the information as required.
- You must enter activities in at least two categories and the hours must total a minimum of 40 hours.
- The Appendix 1 - Definitions/Recording Requirements for Continuing Professional Education Activities, which is enclosed within this package, will assist you with recording your CPE activities.
- Once you have entered a minimum of 40 hours of CPE activities, in two of the three categories, you will be given the RENEW REGISTRATION link on your member home page.
- The reporting of a minimum of 40 hours of CPE is mandatory for individuals who were practicing members (full time or part time) in 2019 as per the enclosed SASW Continuing Education Policy. You will not be able to complete the renewal process until the continuing education requirement has been met.
- If in 2019 you were non-practicing, a new member or reinstatement (over one year), you are EXEMPT from reporting continuing education for 2020 renewal year. Therefore, you will not get the Continuing Education Link and should proceed directly to Step 3 (ONLINE RENEWAL).
- If you have questions about the categories of CPE reporting, you can access the Q&A document.
Members are asked to keep copies of their supporting documentation for continuing education activities (brochures, certificates, receipts, etc.) as you may be selected for a CPE audit and may be requested to submit documents to the SASW Registrar for verification.
Step 3 - Completing Online RenewalOnce you have entered your continuing education activities or if you are exempt from reporting CPE, the system will automatically give you the RENEW MEMBERSHIP link. This link is located under the ONLINE RENEWAL SUB-HEADING. Click on the RENEW MEMBERSHIP link to complete the renewal form. This will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As you scroll through the personal information that has been entered into the system, please check for accuracy of the information. If any of your personal information needs to be edited/updated, click on the field that requires editing/updating and make the necessary change.
Once you have updated your member profile including your employment data, you will continue within the RENEW MEMBERSHIP link to select your 2020 registration category, answer regulatory questions, and finally when you have completed all sections on the renewal form, the SECURE CREDIT CARD PAYMENT screen will appear. In order to complete the online renewal, you must make your payment at this time using Visa/MasterCard/Interact.
If you require a change to your name or educational data, the following is required:
- Last Name/First Name - The Registrar requires that you complete the Name Change Form which is located on your Member Home Page under the subheading ONLINE FORMS. Once you have completed this form, it is sent electronically to the SASW Office where a staff member will make this change.
Please note that the name you are registered under should be the same name that you use in practice.
- Education Data - If you have obtained another degree and want this entered into the SASW online system, members are required to order a transcript indicating that the credential has been conferred. This transcript must be sent directly to the SASW Office from the academic institution where the credential was received. The SASW office will make the change to your educational data once the transcript has been received and place the transcript in your member file.
- You cannot partially complete the online renewal within the RENEW MEMBERSHIP link and come back later to make additional changes to your information and/or pay the registration fee.
- If your employer pays for your registration fee, you will need to pay first and then be reimbursed.
- If you do not have a personal credit card, you can purchase loadable ones from most Canada Post outlets, at drug stores and/or financial institutions.
- You have access to your Member Home Page throughout the year and can update your personal information any time if there are changes. Please make sure that you keep your home address and email address current in the system so that the SASW office can communicate with you throughout the year.
If you have questions about the renewal process, you are encouraged to review the Renewal Q&A’s or you can call the SASW office at (306) 545-6877 and we will be pleased to assist you.