Election Process for SASW Council Positions
The provisions for electing Council members are found in Section 25 of The SASW Administrative By-laws. Members may directly nominate a member for an open position on Council as well as nominations by the Volunteer Development Committee.
Members of Council to be elected are the president, secretary, treasurer and three members at large. Also sitting on Council are two public representatives appointed by the Minister of Social Services who carry responsibility of providing oversight to our work in the interests of the public. The term of a president is four years, the first as president-elect, the second and third as president and the fourth as past-president. Other positions (except Public Representatives) are elected for a 2 year term.
- When a vacancy on Council will occur at the next AGM, a notice shall be sent out by November 30th to the voting members of the Association to advise of their right to nominate licensed members to fill identified vacancies for the coming year.
- The notice will state the date by which any nominations are to be sent to the SASW Office.
- Nominations shall be made by three licensed members and shall include background information on the nominee, according to form that follows this article. The form is available for download from the SASW website.
- Any nominations from the Volunteer Development Committee shall be in the same form as other nominations.
- Voting for Council positions occurs by electronic voting prior to the Annual General Meeting